Thursday, December 29, 2005

Evolving Canine Values

I apologize in advance for the personal nature of this post, but I have gradually changed my thinking about dogs, and I wanted to share these observations in case it resonates with some number of folks out there.

For me it is like smoking. I have never smoked, but I used to think that banning smoking in public places was kind of extreme. I certainly thought it was absurd in bars, and I also thought that folks with private offices should be able to smoke in them.

I am now fully onboard with very restrictive restrictions, but not prohibition. I am glad that you can't smoke at the ball park. You may agree or disagree, but it does show a set of evolving values.

When I was a kid we got our first dog from friends who had backyard bred their pups. She was a collie/shepherd mix and a great dog that lived to almost 16 years old and to an extent defined my childhood. In retrospect, I think it was a mistake to breed her.

Now, don't get excited here...I am no PETA activist. I eat meat (although I try to buy cruelty free products) and still think that anyone without a dog for a pet is nuts.

About 15 years ago I adopted a German Shepherd pup from a rescue organization. She died a year ago. Before she died I adopted another GSD from a different rescue. He is also a terrific dog and we love him dearly. We have also gotten involved in GSD rescue and are currently fostering a dog that was rescued from Katrina. Before we took him in, we were foster parents for about 6 dogs over the past year. I don't know if I'll be able to let this one go.

Anyway, there are fantastic pure breed dogs available through breed-specific and general rescue organizations. There are also equally fantastic mutts at every shelter (kill and nonkill.)

The point is that there are A LOT of dogs out there. Too many. We don't need any more. I've come to view, even caring well-done breading, as irresponsible. I also think it is wrong to buy dogs.

Forget about the arguments about puppy mills and whether they are good or healthy dogs. The bottom-line is that they are unneeded.

Please, spend a few minutes online doing research. Type in "German Shepherd Rescue" or "Dalmatian Rescue" or "Doberman Rescue" and you will see hundreds of great dogs looking for homes.

If you don't fancy a breed, even better. Just haunt the local shelter until you find the right dog.

I think most folks have not really thought about this. I certainly hadn't until I got involved with rescue. I think its time for our attitudes to change a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home