Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Throw Away Lines

I watch Law and Order as much as the next guy. OK, maybe more.

It seems to me that the time for "disposable" cell phones that don't require a valid ID to acquire has come and gone. These make it too easy for criminals, and yes, terrorists, to communicate in an untraceable fashion.

If you have to show ID to buy beer or an Uzi, maybe its time to require the same for cell phones. It seems to me that the civil liberties/public safety balancing act is pretty easy here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Need! We'll just have our ever-vigilant federal government (you know, the one headed by that guy who read "My Pet Goat," while the WTC burned) tap their phone lines. No warrants needed!

OK, I'm an attorney and so's Howard, and I don't get it. Just how is it that the warrantless wiretapping of phone lines (and interception of emails) passes constitutional muster? Yeah, like it's sooooo hard to get a warrant.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home