Wednesday, December 21, 2005

How Long do 72 Virgins Last?

Apparently the Koran (our spelling) says that under certain circumstances you go to paradise and get 72 dark eyed virgins.

So what is the deal? Do you have to ration them. One a week for a year and a half? What happens when you run out? Or do they stay virgins, regardless of what you do with them?

Seems very complicated. Do you have to buy Ramadan cards for all of them, or only the ones who are still virgins?

Anyway, I'll confess my problem with Islam. They are deeply anti-canine. The only dogs allowed are hunting and guard dogs. I don't trust people who don't like dogs.

MMMMmmmm, but I do dig that falafal.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you said, "You did that fallafel," what exactly did you mean?

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam's a big dog. With a big appetite. For virgins. . . .

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1- The Qu'ran does not mention a number of virgins.

2-The "72 virgins" is extracted from the Hadith (Islamic Tradition), and the Prophet was heard describing heaven and he mentioned 72 wives.

After all, the notion has been used by brain washers to lure youths into becoming suicide bombers.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Howard said...

OK, Zoubeir, I give. In fact I know that the "72" number is not meant literally. My understanding is that culturally it is sort of like saying "a zillion" - it connotes a large, possibly infinite number. It was a cheap shot.

But I AM still pissed off about the whole dog thing.

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am pissed too because it is widely believed (from the Hadith) that dogs scare angels away and they also annul or void prayer, and muslims rely on the Hadith when an issue is not discuseed in the Qu'ran, which mentions dogs many times, and even the people of the cave had a dog too, but the Qu'ran never instructs not to own one.
Those among the muslims who love dogs have only to be flexible, combine both the hadith and the Qu'ran, own dogs and love them.
I love dogs.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Howard said...

Which is why I love YOU Zoubeir. Now come over and let me plant a big sloppy dog kiss on your forhead.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home